Sixyard logo

Sheffield United Faces 12-Point Deduction Amid Ownership Dispute

Sheffield United’s season could be hit by a 12-point deduction in the Championship as a bitter ownership row heads into the High Court on Wednesday.

At the heart of it is a £35m debt, a winding-up petition, and a complex reshaping of who actually owns the club.

A £100m deal, an unpaid £35m – and a court date

COH Sports Bidco Limited (CSBL), an American-based consortium, agreed to buy Sheffield United from United World in December 2024 in a deal worth just over £100m.

United World, the vehicle through which Saudi Arabian Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad Al Saud owned the club, says CSBL still owes more than £35m from that agreement.

On 8 July, United World filed a winding-up petition against CSBL – not against Sheffield United itself. That petition will be heard in the High Court on Wednesday. If the money is not paid, or no settlement is reached, CSBL could be wound up.

CSBL has not denied that the £35m remains outstanding. It had already been late with its first instalment on the deal, paying only after a statutory demand and on the deadline.

This is not a clean break between old and new. It is a running feud over who pays for Sheffield United – and who carries the consequences if they do not.

The ownership maze

Prince Abdullah first bought 50% of Sheffield United in 2013 and took full control in 2019, but only after a long and bruising High Court battle. His reign brought controversy and, last season, a two-point deduction in the Championship for missed transfer payments under his watch in the 2022-23 campaign.

When United World sold to CSBL, it looked like the end of that chapter. It was not.

In June, the shares in Sheffield United were moved from CSBL into a new US-based company, 1919 Partners LLC, which was described as becoming the “parent company of Sheffield United”.

On paper, that means CSBL no longer controls the club. In practice, the link is obvious: CSBL is led by businessmen Steven Rosen and Helmy Eltoukhy, and both remain on the Blades’ board as co-chairmen through 1919 Partners LLC.

So while Wednesday’s court case targets CSBL, the shadow falls squarely over Bramall Lane.

Accusations, counter-claims and rising tension

United World escalated the row on Monday with a pointed statement. It claimed the creation of 1919 Partners LLC was “an attempt to avoid paying CSBL’s creditors” and said no offer had been made to settle the £35m debt since the winding-up order was issued.

Rosen and Eltoukhy, United World alleged, are “trying to take the club without paying for it”.

Sources close to the current Sheffield United ownership then issued their own response. They did not directly address the accusation about avoiding creditors, but they fired back at Prince Abdullah.

“We are disappointed Prince Abdullah is trying to hurt the club and its supporters with publicity stunts,” their statement read.

They argued that the 2024 deal between the parties was properly advised, insisted Sheffield United is “financially healthy” – unlike under Prince Abdullah, when the club suffered a points deduction for missing payments to football creditors – and said Eltoukhy and Rosen had even invited Abdullah to reinvest and rejoin the ownership group.

“Helmy and Steve are focused on the sustainability of the club and the season ahead,” they added.

United World replied again on Tuesday. This time, the language hardened.

“Sophisticated and well-advised parties pay the price they agreed,” its statement said, rejecting any notion that an offer of shares in the company that was sold could be considered payment.

“If Sheffield United is as financially healthy as its owners claim, and the owners themselves have the means they are widely reported to have, then the money can be paid,” United World added.

“Paying it would answer all questions about the club’s situation at once. Instead, the owners are running a club they have not paid for and the club’s financial health, such as it is, is the result of the owners’ scheme to avoid paying for the club.”

For now, neither the English Football League (EFL) nor the Independent Football Regulator (IFR) has publicly taken a position on the transfer of shares to 1919 Partners LLC.

The IFR confirmed on Tuesday it is in contact over the situation: “We are aware of the winding-up petition in relation to COH Sports Bidco. We are engaging with the club and relevant organisations on this issue, but we cannot comment further at this stage.”

Where the EFL comes in – and the 12-point threat

This is where the case moves from boardroom drama to competitive jeopardy.

The winding-up petition is against a company in the ownership structure, not against the club itself. That matters. When a club goes into administration, the rules are clear and the penalties – usually a points deduction – are automatic.

When a “group undertaking” or parent company suffers an insolvency event, the picture is more nuanced. The EFL’s regulations instruct its board to weigh several factors, including “the need to protect the integrity and continuity of the competition” and “the reputation of the league”.

If the High Court decides to wind up CSBL, the EFL faces a stark question: have Sheffield United’s owners shifted the club’s shares into a new company to leave a large slice of the purchase debt behind in the old one, effectively trying to write it off?

If the EFL concludes that is what has happened, it could treat it as a breach and impose sanctions. That might include a 12-point deduction for an insolvency event, even though the club itself has not gone into administration.

There is a precedent of sorts. In 2009, Southampton were docked 10 points when their parent company went into administration. An investigation found the club and its parent were “inextricably linked as one economic entity”, triggering the mandatory penalty.

The Sheffield United case is not identical, but the echoes are loud enough to worry supporters staring at the new Championship season.

What happens next?

United World say they do not want to see months of uncertainty hanging over the club they used to own.

“As the former owners of SUFC, United World does not want to see SUFC facing months of uncertainty that will follow the winding-up order being granted on 19 August,” their statement said.

“But in the absence of Eltoukhy and Rosen, both billionaires, agreeing to pay what they owe, we have no alternative but to take all legal steps to protect our interests.”

So the saga moves to the High Court on Wednesday.

If there is a last-minute compromise, the immediate threat of CSBL being wound up could disappear. If there is not, and the winding-up order is granted, the EFL will be forced to decide how hard it wants to hit a club whose owners are accused of trying to reshape the rules of the game off the pitch.

For Sheffield United, fighting for promotion might soon come with a far heavier burden than just the teams in front of them.