Sixyard logo

Arsenal's Pursuit of Kenan Yildiz Hits a Wall at Juventus

Arsenal’s pursuit of Kenan Yildiz has run straight into a brick wall in Turin.

Juventus are not just unwilling to sell. They are treating the 21-year-old as untouchable.

Yildiz, fresh from a breakout campaign in which he played 47 times across all competitions and produced 11 goals and 10 assists, has been tracked by Arsenal for months. The Premier League champions, flush with ambition and already deep into an aggressive summer rebuild, have been widely tipped to test Juve’s resolve with a huge offer.

The answer from Italy could not be louder.

Spalletti draws a line in the sand

On the eve of Juventus’ league opener away to Frosinone, Luciano Spalletti faced the transfer questions head-on and barely blinked.

“I am perfectly relaxed, because dealing with Yildiz is easy for me,” he told reporters, smiling as he brushed aside talk of bids. “They can offer whatever they like, I want Yildiz here and will always put him on the field. He's a perfect lad to talk to, he's mature, and knows he doesn't need to rush anything.”

That last line matters. Juventus see time as their ally, not a threat. Yildiz, in their eyes, does not need the Premier League to validate him.

The Turkish forward has risen at speed since arriving from Bayern Munich’s academy in 2022. He started in the youth ranks, but that phase barely lasted. His talent forced him upwards, into the senior squad, where he played a central role in last season’s Coppa Italia triumph.

Spalletti is convinced that what the world has seen so far is only the first glimpse.

“His future is already important staying at Juventus, not because there are other clubs who want to spend €100m for him,” the coach said. “We are all convinced that we can show the total potential of Kenan, and he is a potential phenomenon of football. The fans are convinced too.”

When a manager speaks like that, it sounds less like a valuation and more like a manifesto.

A player in tune with Juventus

Yildiz has not only won over his coach. He has captured the stands.

Supporters in Turin have taken to his blend of technique, courage and personality, but also to something less tangible: his clear feel for the club’s history. He has repeatedly spoken of his admiration for Alessandro Del Piero and has even copied the Juventus legend’s tongue-out celebration after scoring.

That kind of symbolism matters here. It suggests a player who sees himself not as a passing asset but as part of a lineage. For Arsenal, that emotional bond is yet another obstacle. A move to London would not just be a transfer; it would be a break with a project he is helping to define.

Juventus have moved decisively to protect that project. Earlier this year they tied Yildiz down to a lucrative five-year contract, locking in both his future and their bargaining power. After a sixth-place finish last season and a step down into the UEFA Europa League, the club cannot afford to lose its brightest attacking light just as it tries to climb back.

They view him as the cornerstone of their forward line for years, not a windfall waiting to be cashed.

Arsenal’s reshaped attack hits resistance

Across the Channel, Arsenal have been busy reshaping a squad expected to defend its Premier League crown and go deeper in Europe.

Ezri Konsa has arrived from Aston Villa to reinforce the back line. Bruno Guimaraes has been prised from Newcastle United to add craft and control in midfield. Christos Tzolis has joined from Club Brugge as another attacking option.

The logic behind targeting Yildiz was clear. With Leandro Trossard gone and uncertainty lingering over Gabriel Martinelli’s long-term future at the Emirates, Mikel Arteta and the club’s hierarchy wanted another dynamic wide forward who could grow with this core.

On the pitch, the champions have started as if nothing is missing. Arsenal opened their title defence with a commanding 3-0 win over Coventry City on Friday, a performance that underlined their depth and authority.

Off it, they have just been told that one of Europe’s most exciting young attackers is, for now, off limits.

Juventus have drawn their line. Arsenal, no strangers to long-term planning in the market, must decide whether to wait for a door that may never open – or turn their gaze to the next emerging star before someone else does.