Sixyard logo

Julian Alvarez Returns to Atletico Squad for Villarreal Clash

Diego Simeone is bringing Julian Alvarez back into the fold – and he’s making it clear the striker will be protected, whether the fans like it or not.

The Atletico Madrid coach confirmed on Saturday that the Argentina international will return to the matchday squad for Sunday’s La Liga game against Villarreal, after missing the midweek win over Malaga.

"Yes, he's going to be included in the squad list tomorrow and he's doing better," Simeone told reporters. Alvarez has been working his way back to fitness after his post-World Cup holiday and is, in Simeone’s words, still “getting up to speed, like all his teammates.”

The football side of the story is simple. The emotional side is anything but.

Alvarez pushed to leave Atletico in the summer, drawing serious bids from Barcelona and Real Madrid. The club refused to sell. The fallout has been loud. Against Malaga, sections of the Atletico support aimed insulting chants at the striker, a clear message from the stands to a player they feel tried to walk away.

Simeone hears that noise. He just refuses to join in.

"Obviously I don't share in any insults or slights. Let that be absolutely clear," he said, doubling down on his backing for Alvarez. The coach called the forward “hugely important” to Atletico’s ambitions this season and underlined that the club will lean on him as they chase their targets.

"Julian is a hugely important player for achieving the goals we have as a team. We need him, we're going to look after him," Simeone insisted. "That's from a sporting standpoint, and we're going to stand by him. Why? Because he's our player, and as long as there are players at Atletico Madrid who are mine, I'm going to look after them."

So Alvarez returns to a squad that needs his goals and movement, but to a stadium where the reception may be icy. Jeers are expected when his name is read out, if he steps onto the pitch, or even during the warm-up. Simeone has previously said the fans should be respected, but his stance on Alvarez is unambiguous: criticism from the stands will not change his plans.

On the other side of the saga, Barcelona remain lurking in the background. The Spanish champions tried to prise Alvarez away in the summer, only to be rebuffed along with Real Madrid. Asked repeatedly on Saturday whether Barca had now abandoned their pursuit, coach Hansi Flick refused to fan the flames, simply stating he would not talk about players from other clubs.

For now, the transfer tug-of-war pauses. Alvarez is still an Atletico player. Simeone is still in his corner. And on Sunday, in a tense Wanda Metropolitano, everyone will see how far the fans are willing to go in the opposite direction.