Napoli Faces Pressure After Bologna Defeat in Champions League Race
Napoli’s chase for a guaranteed top-four place took a heavy hit in Naples, where Bologna walked away with a dramatic win and left Antonio Conte staring at a suddenly fragile Champions League bid.
The home side, stripped of key figures such as Kevin De Bruyne and Romelu Lukaku, collapsed early. Bologna struck twice, punishing a disjointed Napoli that looked short of ideas and even shorter of belief. For a while, the Stadio Diego Armando Maradona felt stunned rather than hostile.
Then the fightback came.
Giovanni Di Lorenzo dragged Napoli back into the contest, his goal injecting urgency into a team that had been drifting. The noise rose, the tackles sharpened, and the tempo finally matched the stakes. Alisson Santos then levelled, capping a spirited recovery and briefly restoring the sense that Napoli’s season might yet stay on track.
The move for Santos’ equaliser underlined one of the night’s central stories. Rasmus Hojlund, stuck in a six-game scoring drought and under scrutiny for a modest return of 10 goals in 31 Serie A appearances, stepped up in another way. His assist – his fourth in the league this season – showcased the work rate and intelligence Conte keeps pointing to whenever the striker’s numbers come under the microscope.
The comeback should have been the platform. Instead, it became the prelude to a gut punch.
As the clock ticked down, Jonathan Rowe found space and produced an acrobatic volley that silenced the stadium and ripped through Napoli’s fragile confidence. One moment of technique and audacity, and Bologna were celebrating a statement victory. Conte’s side were left staring at the scoreboard, and at the table, with a very different kind of calculation in mind.
After the final whistle, Conte moved quickly to shield Hojlund from the inevitable criticism. Speaking to DAZN, he reminded everyone of the context: this is a 23-year-old carrying an entire attack.
“Let's not forget that he's the only striker we have in the squad; he's always playing,” Conte said, underlining the physical and mental load on the Dane. This was not a coach looking for a scapegoat. It was a manager making it clear that his No. 9 has been running on empty for too long.
“This season, we should have had the opportunity to rest him and bring him on during the game,” Conte added. “He has so much energy. There are times when you have to attack the depth and others when you have to protect the ball.”
That balance – when to run in behind, when to hold it up, when to conserve energy – is being learned in real time, under the harshest spotlight, with no rotation and no safety net. Conte insisted that age and workload must shape any judgment of Hojlund’s season.
“He has excellent qualities, he's only 23 and has significant room for improvement. We can't say anything about him at all,” the Napoli coach said, doubling down on his belief that the forward remains central to the project, even as the goals have dried up.
The numbers tell one story; the trust of the manager tells another. On a night when Napoli conceded three at home, Conte’s real frustration will lie with a defence that lost its structure at key moments and allowed Bologna to dictate the drama.
Now the margin for error is almost gone.
Napoli travel to Pisa on Sunday for what has become a high-pressure test of nerve and resilience. Only a win will keep their top-four ambitions firmly alive. Drop points there, and the final home game against Udinese risks turning from a European decider into a post-mortem on a season that slipped away.
Conte needs his back line to rediscover the solidity that once defined his teams. He needs control, concentration, and far fewer chaotic moments than those that opened the door for Bologna. And up front, with the squad stretched and options thin, he still needs Hojlund.
The young striker remains the primary hope for goals in an attacking department stripped of its stars. His legs, his runs, his decisions in the final third – they could yet decide whether Napoli hear the Champions League anthem next season, or watch it from a distance.
Related News

Real Madrid Loses CAS Appeal Over Homophobic Abuse Incident

Negreira Case: Real Madrid's Push Against Barcelona's Scandal

Southampton Triumphs Over Middlesbrough in Extra Time to Reach Wembley

Michael O’Neill Stays as Northern Ireland Manager

Michael O’Neill Chooses Northern Ireland Over Blackburn Rovers

Millie Bright's Farewell: Chelsea's Guiding Star
