Sixyard logo

Liverpool Begins New Era Under Andoni Iraola Against Newcastle

Liverpool’s new era under Andoni Iraola begins at one of the Premier League’s most unforgiving venues – and it starts with a headache.

The Spaniard takes charge of the Reds in the league for the first time on Sunday at St James’ Park, going up against fellow newcomer Matthias Jaissle in the Newcastle dugout. Two fresh faces on the touchline. Plenty of familiar problems on the teamsheet.

Iraola’s injury list bites early

Iraola has barely had a clear look at his full squad since walking through the door. That won’t change for the opening weekend.

Conor Bradley, Hugo Ekitike and Giovanni Leoni all remain long-term absentees after serious injuries last season. None are in contention for the trip to Tyneside.

Bradley is not expected to feature again until 2027. Ekitike is still sidelined for several more months. Leoni is ahead of both in his recovery, but after suffering an ACL injury last September, he could still be facing close to a year out.

Joe Gomez is also missing. The defender, who picked up a muscle injury, is not due back until next month. Iraola had already admitted during pre-season that a return for the start of the campaign was “impossible”, and nothing has changed there.

So Liverpool head into the opener without four first-team options, and with their new boss already forced into early-season juggling.

Isak fit – but under watch

The big question around Liverpool has not just been about who they are missing, but about the condition of one of their key men.

There has been plenty of noise around Alexander Isak’s fitness after his problems last season. Iraola, though, cut a more relaxed figure when asked about the forward’s status.

“Right now I think he is in a very good place, he's been training every day,” he said in his press conference. “He hasn't missed a training session, he's adding more and more minutes in every friendly game.

“I think that he already played a very good World Cup in terms of availability, fitness level. I want to keep him there as much as we can because we know his level and if we can keep him there, he will score the goals, he will give us a lot of things.”

Isak has travelled with the squad. He will be managed carefully, but he is in the frame – and that alone changes the feel of Liverpool’s attack heading into a hostile away opener.

Newcastle’s own selection problems

If Liverpool arrive depleted, Newcastle are hardly at full strength themselves.

The Magpies have already had to absorb the summer departures of key midfielders Sandro Tonali and Bruno Guimaraes. Now Joelinton has joined the absentee list.

“For sure out for a couple of weeks but I don't want to go too much in detail as there will always be specialists involved,” Jaissle explained. “The medical department is aware of it, we have top staff when it comes to that and I am really confident he will be back as soon as possible.”

It’s a significant blow for a side already reshaping its midfield core. And it is not the only one.

Tino Livramento will also miss out. The former Chelsea youngster saw his World Cup dream wrecked by a training-ground injury in the United States and is not ready to return.

“For sure, too early [to return against Liverpool],” Jaissle said. “He had just one training where he was partially involved.

“So we need to be smart with his progress now. We can't wait until he is 100% ready. He has huge potential and I love him.”

New managers, thin squads, same unforgiving stage

So the season opens with two ambitious clubs, two new managers and two patched-up squads walking into a cauldron.

Iraola must launch his Liverpool tenure without several key options. Jaissle starts life at Newcastle minus two important players of his own and with a rebuilt midfield to bed in.

St James’ Park will not care for excuses. The question is simple: whose new project can ride out the early setbacks and make the first statement of the season?